PELARGONIUM ARKOCAPS – 45 capsules
Product code: 95240465
Price: Trade: £4.52 / Retail: £7.80
PIP Code: 320-1092
Species : Pelargonium sidoides
Origin: South Africa
Parts used : The root
Presentation: 400 mg per capsule
Active constituents: Proanthocyanidin type, coumarins, tannins and simple phenolic compounds
Directions: 2 capsules morning and evening, to be taken with a glass of water.
Children over the age of 6 years. (1 capsule a day)
Not advised for pregnant women
400 mg per capsule the root of cryoground powder.
Pelargonium sidoides has been recommended for the treatment of:
Respiratory infections like bronchitis, sinusitis and pneumonia, tonsillitis and rhinopharyngitis
It is often used as an alternative to antibiotics
· Study on 1042 children over 12, acute bronchitis: the response rate was 80% [LIS-BALCHIN, 2002]
· Study on 60 children, acute bronchitis Umckaloabo® is thus at least as effective as acetylcysteine [LIS-BALCHIN, 2002]
· Double-blind study vs. placebo on 78 children for 6 days: after 4 days, the response rate was 90% for the Umckaloabo® treatment, against 44.7% for the placebo [LIS-BALCHIN, 2002]
· On 641 adults, infections of the ORL system and the respiratory tract: after 14 days of treatment, 85% of patients were completely cured or showed a substantial improvement [LIS-BALCHIN, 2002]
· Double-blind study vs. placebo on 124 adults, acute bronchitis, at the end of the treatment (7days), the number of symptoms in patients treated with Umckaloabo® decreased to a greater extent than with the placebo [SCHWABE]
The alcoholic extract of the roots has been shown to have a three-way effect:
· Anti-bacterial: the p.sidoides extract prevents bacteria from sticking to cells in the mucous membranes.
· Antiviral effect: prevents viruses from attaching to the mucous membrane cells and stimulates the body’s immune system in such a way that both bacteria and viruses are prevented from multiplying
· Expectorant: the extract acts as an expectorant, allowing the body to expel contaminated mucous making conditions less suitable for the multiplication of the bacteria and viruses.
During 14 days of treatment: no side effect. [LIS-BALCHIN, on 2002].
Excellent ratio benefit/ risk for children as for adults. [ SCHWABE].
The cytotoxique potential of the product can be unimportant. [LIS-BALCHIN, on 2002].
Restrictions of use during pregnancy and lactation